Monday, April 7, 2014

Weekend Getaway: Asheville



This past weekend I took a 4 day trip to Asheville. My best friend goes to school in North Carolina and I of course go to school in Tennessee so we decided to meet in the middle in Asheville for a fun girls weekend. Plus I heard amazing things about this funky, hipster, foodie, outdoors city. It was the perfect mix of mountain weekend and city fun.


I arrived Thursday afternoon and went to check out Whole Foods, because I love LOVE new health food stores. It was not very different from mine but fun to browse around. 

Then I headed over to check into my hostel. This was my first hostel experience in the US and so I was nervous about the experience. But I had nothing to be nervous about because the hostel turned out to be absolutely perfect. I had a fantastic experience. I checked into Sweet Peas Hostel in downtown Asheville and then started meeting people. The first guy I met became one of my best friends for the weekend- Cam. My best friend Em wasn't going to arrive until about 7PM so I had some time to kill. I decided to wander my way around downtown Asheville and explore the area and all of the adorable streets and shops. 

Emily arrived, we changed, and headed out for drinks and a snack. We thought at first we would hit up a wine bar so we wandered around downtown for awhile but realized we were not fancy enough for that just yet, and instead when to LAB (Lexington avenue brewery). We had light food and beers. Bonus, it is right below our hostel.

Then we headed over to the social lounge because we knew it had a rooftop bar and turned out to be quite a fun rooftop bar for us. I had one of the best cocktails I have ever had in my entire life! But it was pretty expensive. Cam did come join us though which was a nice surprise. We chatted the night away and he taught us about quantum mechanics (what he is getting his masters in) and then we headed home and crashed. What a night,


DAY 2:

On friday we woke up to explore all of the little shops around Asheville of which there are about a million. They are all cute and funky, but very hippie of course. We popped into Mast General Store which is a cute old fashioned country store. I even picked up some new much needed toms from a shoe store. 

Then the afternoon rolled around and it started to rain so we retreated to Sweet Pea for a nap. While hanging out there in the afternoon I met another awesome guy- Dyl, who was also around Cam and I's age. So the three of us agreed to meet up later. That night emily and I took a beer tour so we headed off for that in the late afternoon. Friday ended with late night walks around town, guitar playing and chatting with the gang.



On Saturday we woke up and I went to the asheville Farmer's Market downtown which was mostly local product vendors and not produce but they had a TON of vendors and samples. So I made my breakfast out of that, haha


Around lunchtime Emily and I went on a chocolate factory tour, and then we spent the majority of our afternoon at Biltmore Estate. Originally we were not going to go, but changed out minds when Em's grandma offered to pay for us to visit. If it was free, we would for sure be there to enjoy it!

After our adventure to Biltmore, we finished up the night with dinner, more drinks and fun with the boys,ridiculous. We played the app "Heads up" which is like charades and is such a fun time!  and ended with playing guitar on a parking garage roof. Probably too perfect.

Sunday was for saying goodbye and heading off into the mountains for fresh air, nature and views. 












No comments:

Post a Comment